tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 05 04:08:27 1994

Re: joke

According to Mark E. Shoulson:
> Um... Okrand told us that Klingon doesn't have indirect quotes, especially
> if (as you are) you're treating "Har" like a verb of saying (which I do not
> contest; it makes sense).  So these sentences should be recast in
> first-person.

Thanks. I was confused on this. I thought Klingon didn't have
DIRECT quotes, and since most of the examples I've seen could
be interpreted either way, I had no way of knowing. The example
in TKD 6.2.5 has the speaker in the first person directed to a
listener in the second person, which results in a sentence that
would be the same as either a direct or indirect quote. The
person of the subject of the second verb doesn't change:

I told you, "Don't you interrupt me."

I told you that you are not to interrupt me.

Had the object been other than second person, then I could have
better known this. The person of the subject of the second verb
changes:

I told him, "Don't you interrupt me."

I told him that he should not interrupt me.

I'm curious as to where you learned that Klingon doesn't have
indirect quotes. I don't remember seeing this anywhere and if I
create a grammar section for AKD, I'd prefer to offer explicit
citations for this sort of thing.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level