tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 05 03:52:09 1994

Re: sayings

> According to HoD trI'Qal:
>
> > 	HeghmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'!
> >
> > How's zat?
> >
> > --tQ
>
> While I see this all the time, I always feel a little
> uncomfortable about the way people leave off any verbal prefix
> whenever they use {-meH}. I read this as "In order that
> he/she/it dies or they die, today is a good day." If the
> sentiment were that it is a good day for ME to die, I'd prefer:
>
> jIHeghmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'!
>
> If it is considered to be a threat:
>
> bIHeghmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'!
>
> If it is merely waxing philosophical and it doesn't matter WHO
> dies, then:
>
> HeghmeH jay' jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'!

Thqank you for taking me to task on my own beliefs.  However, I recall
that, while I was the Beginner's Grammarian, *someone*  (Qanqor?)  took
me to task because I also said there had had to be a prefix.  I don't
remember what he wuoted as an example; I think it was from one of the tapes.

I sat corrected.

And it is <vay'>, not <jay'>.  {{:)

> charghwI'

--tQ

--
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD Qanqor...?

--HoD trI'Qal		Captain T'rkal		---------------------
  tlhwD lIy So'		IKV Hidden Comet	|   [email protected]

Back to archive top level