tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 31 21:39:53 1994

Re: sayings

According to HoD trI'Qal:

> 	HeghmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'!
>
> How's zat?
>
> --tQ

While I see this all the time, I always feel a little
uncomfortable about the way people leave off any verbal prefix
whenever they use {-meH}. I read this as "In order that
he/she/it dies or they die, today is a good day." If the
sentiment were that it is a good day for ME to die, I'd prefer:

jIHeghmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'!

If it is considered to be a threat:

bIHeghmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'!

If it is merely waxing philosophical and it doesn't matter WHO
dies, then:

HeghmeH jay' jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'!

I offer that in TKD 6.2.4, all the examples using {-meH} use
the proper verb prefix. People tend to take the "in order TO" a
little too much to heart, turning the {-meH} attached verb into
an infinitive, and of course, Klingon doesn't HAVE infinitives,
so I prefer to translate it as "in order THAT", which reminds
me to choose a subject for the verb. In Klingon, ALL verbs have
subjects, even if indefinite.

DeghHomvam 'oH wIghHomwIj'e' 'ach jIHemmeH vItuQ.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level