tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 01 06:13:31 1994

Klingon math, et al

>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>Date: Sun, 31 Jul 94 16:47:15 EDT

>charghwI'vo'

I'm not going to comment on the math stuff yet; too much there to digest
for now.

>oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

>Wait... It is next to the course which is followed in order
>that one roams to the universe's unknown reagion at the
>galaxie's edge. [This refers to the worm-hole.]

>In order it is studied, in order that it is conspired [?], in
>order that a risk is taken, the Deep Space Nine space station
>behaves like a door. [Does this mean no one listens next to it
>when it is open?]

>[The question mark is because {QuS} REALLY doesn't seem like a
>very transitive verb, yet a {-lu} suffix ALWAYS implies an
>object. Similarly, {SuD} listed as "gamble, take a chance, take
>a risk" becomes "In order that one gambles it" or "in order
>that it is gambled". I transformed this "it" into the "risk"
>that
>is "taken". Of the entire translation, {QuSlu'meH} seems the
>strangest choice of words.]

Not quite true.  "-lu'" need not imply an object.  It only implies that the
*subject* is indefinite.  You can have an indefinite subject and no object.
It's basically like replacing the subject with "vay'".  Indeed, we have
canonical evidence: in TKD, in the phraselist, we have "quSDa[q]
ba'lu''a'?" (typo: there's a Q instead of a q).  This is given as "Is this
seat taken?"  Literally, it's "Is someone/something sitting in the seat" or
even "Is it being sat in the chair?"  Sanskrit, which has a real passive,
has no problem saying things like "In the forest it is happily lived by the
hermits".  Don't mistake indefinite subject for a required object.

>oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

>charghwI'

~mark

yInlIj DayInlaHchu''a'?  pe'vIl DayInlaH'a'?  bIqu'Ha'taHvIS DayInlaH'a'?
nIQ DaSopmeH chab DaSop 'e' DanajlaH'a'?  jIHvaD neH cha'nay' tIn tu'lu'.

Back to archive top level