tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 02 07:14:37 1994

Re: sayings, and Klingon Tr

        Reply to:   RE>>sayings, and Klingon Translat
Has anyone thought to extract the english useage from the Terran warrior race
that it is from, I think it is the saying  Ho Ka Hey (Sp) from tribes in the
Montanna area?  Basically the arguement of  "..Look out buddy..." seems the
closest, it was used at one time when facing overwhelming odds in battle, and
not refusing to fight.  Embracing the possibility that you might tire after
defeating many of the enmy, and so, were prepared to die in battle! (A most
noble people these Warriors)  Kay

--------------------------------------
Date: 8/2/94 03:17 PM
To: Kay Tracy
From: Klingon Language List

> > this case, "it" really means "today", so using "it" is rather
> > idomatic to English and we are not sure it works in Klingon.
>
> > jIHeghmeH QaQ DaHjaj.
> > "For the purpose that I die, today is good."
> >
> > charghwI'
>
> Sorry, man, I gotta use my first post to disagree. Here's why.
> It seems to me that the concention is to back off from a decisive
> translation, based on the concept that Klingon culture could convey such
> a message or saying in an infinite number of ways, and we have no way to
> guess.
> Well, here's my postulation to solve part of the problem. When a Klingon
> translates a phrase and uses it in Fed Standard, he or she's not likely
> to bend it to fit Feddies' ears..."we're" gonna say it just as it was
> originally formed, as close to the original Klingon idiom (the Idiom
> problem can work for us as well as against {{:>). So when Worf says "It
> is a good day to die", I think we can assume the original Klingon is
> pretty close to that.

I would buy into this more, if Klingon was Worf's first language.  It is
not.  REmember; he was raised by *humans*.  Terran Standard is is first
language... or by this point in his life, it is.

Show me a Klingon whose antive tongue is Hol'e', and I will agree you
have a valid arguement here.

> Besides, it would be a better phrase if "today" was the real subject,
> rather than another day, or merely the time frame of the deed of dying.
> I think that's the essential gist of the idiom, that now's as good a time
> as any, so fear me, baby {{:)
> am I making any sense?

Uh... no... but I am known to be pretty dense at times...

--tQ

--
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH, qatlh reH HaghtaH HoD Qanqor...?

--HoD trI'Qal		Captain T'rkal		---------------------
  tlhwD lIy So'		IKV Hidden Comet	|   [email protected]