tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 13 15:36:47 1994

KLBC: Grammar question

yI'Ij!  "KLBC: Grammar question" Bill Willmerdinger jatlhchu'pu' Uucp
 Uu> From: Captain Krankor <ur-valhalla!codex.prds.cdx.mot.com!krankor>

 >>translate was "Perhaps it is a good day to live."

 >>On the surface, it looks easy enough.  I got:
 >[...]
 >>chaq yInmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'

 >I would just like to suggest
 >{DaHjaj chaq QaQ yIn}
 >"Today perhaps life is good".

 Uu> proposed change, and indeed would do it as:  chaq DaHjaj yInmeH QaQ
 Uu> jaj.  [Yep, apophasis].

Umm..  apophasis?

So then, your opinion is that yInmeH is correct in this usage?  "Perhaps today
the day is good for the purpose of living"?

I think I'm in dire need of assistance in the proper way of translating  the
-meH suffix into English!  (Have you addressed this one in HolQeD yet,
Captain?)

Sogh'a' Qob vestai-qutvaj
Second Officer and Ship's Linguist, IKV Crystal Dagger

... bIchep bIneHchugh, quv DaquvmoH 'e' Daqaw

Back to archive top level