tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 11 07:13:30 1994

Re: KLBC: Grammar question

>Looks fine to me.  I only would have added something to <HeghmeH> to give it a
>subject/object, even if it were something like <Heghlu'meH>.  Hm.  On second
>thought, after skimming the section on -lu' in the KD, I am not certain that
>you can use -lu' this way... I sense a debate on the use of -lu' coming up.
>{{:(

Without trying to open up a whole argument, let me just summarize
what has been concluded in the past on the subject of -meH.

There exist canonical examples of both kinds of usage of -meH verbs,
both with and without subject.  In particular, the use of a
naked -meH verb (i.e. without subject) does appear to take on the
concept of an indefinite subject.  So, in short, the original use of
just "HeghmeH" is completely legal; so too would be "Heghlu'meH".
As for which is better, that's a matter of style.

                    --Krankor

Back to archive top level