tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 13 15:36:13 1994

KLBC: Grammar question

yI'Ij!  "KLBC: Grammar question" Bill Willmerdinger jatlhchu'pu' Uucp
 Uu> From: ur-valhalla!aol.com!dls9

 >After watching "Blood Oath", I decided to try translating a couple of the
 >lines which our Klingon brothers spoke.  One in particular which I wanted
 >to translate was "Perhaps it is a good day to live."

 >chaq yInmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'

 Uu> I would just like to suggest
 Uu> {DaHjaj chaq QaQ yIn}
 Uu> "Today perhaps life is good".

That's not precisely what the English is trying to convey, though.  The
English
sentence is a rather roundabout way of saying that the person doesn't want to
die (and maybe that ought to be the way to say it.  Hmm....)

 Uu> Using the {-meH} in this case doesn't look right to me, because it
 Uu> implies that there is a purpose.The English "to live" is not always the
 Uu> same as {yInmeH}. {yInmeH} is more accurately translated by "in order
 Uu> to live, for the purpose of living".

Um.  I see your point.

As I've commented to Amy West on several occasions, I have a fairly strong
tendency to try to translate literally.  I know it doesn't usually work, but
I'm having a hard time breaking myself of the habit.  Perhaps this is because
the only language I have any experiance with besides English is German, which
is similar enough that I had few problems this way.

 Uu> Hope that helps. The {-meH} suffix was one of the toughest suffixes
 Uu> for me to grasp when I first started learning Klingon. I don't know how
 Uu> true that would be of everyone, tho.

{-meH}, {-bogh} and {-lu'} are my problems.  Thanks for the input.

Bill

... From the Bridge of IKV Crystal Dagger, Rochester NY

Back to archive top level