tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 10 21:04:30 1994

Re: Sonnet 61

> Yeah. It doesn't translate into English well, does it. I think it's still
> good Klingon, but that's just me...
>
> Nick.

     That's my only criticism of your notoriously idiomatic style. You are
writing something that only you can understand, and you do so in quantity. It
is the same problem I have with Proechel, though for different reasons. I
actually respect your position more than Proechel's from what I've seen, but
in both cases it conflicts with my own goals with the Klingon language. I
want to place the burden upon the person translating from English to Klingon
and I want to REDUCE the burden of the person translating from Klingon to
English. There's enough burden there already.

     I want to write things in Klingon that are as clear and unambiguous as
possible. It would be a copout for me to fall back to, "If you can't
understand what I was trying to say, then that is a reflection of lack of
skill on YOUR part." I go WAAAAY out of my way to avoid that.

     It is just a difference in style. I will not inflate my significance
enough to think my style is superior to yours. Here, I am just trying to
share my perspective on how our styles seem different and why I embrace such
a difference. I'm sure the world of tlhIngan Hol needs advocates for many
different such styles.

     I left posts I made over the weekend on disks in my car. Bummer. I'll
post them later today.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level