tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 10 14:26:45 1994

Re: Sonnet 61

Hu'tegh! nuq ja' [email protected] jay'?

Many thanks for this, Amy, and apologies for the difficulties you may have
encountered. As this is published in HolQeD, I had to fine-tune some of the
grammar and vocab, as I'll explain:

=qanajtaHmo' SoQbe' mInyoDDu'wIj,
=qaStaHvIS rammey Doy'qu' 'e' DanIb'a'?
=jIQong 'e' qaghlu'meH qar'a' bIjIj,
=mInlaH muvaqtaHvIS nIrurbogh QIb'a'!

=  Because I'm dreaming of you, my eyelids are open,
=  During the really tired nights, are you identical to that?
=  For one to interrupt that I sleep (for the interruption of my
=sleep), right? you cooperate,
=  sight while shadows which resemble you mock me?  (??)

nIb is a mistake; should read ghIb.

mInlaH muvaq is meant to be a construct a la ghIch munob, but it's too clumsy:
should read mInlaHwIj vaq. Thus:

Because I'm dreaming of you, my eyelids are open;
during the really tired nights --- do you consent to that?
For the interruption of my sleep (yes?), you cooperate,
while great shades resembling you mock my sight!

=juHlIjvo', SoHvo', ta'meywIj DaDaqmeH
=qa'lIj'e' chIch DangeH'a'? tuHmoHwI'Hey,
=rep buDqu' je Datu'qang'a'? bImaqmeH
=reH chovoqQo'qu''a'? reH jIHvaD vI' pey!

=  You  deliver from us, from you, you intentionally send your
=  spirit to eavesdrop on my accomplishments?  apparent thing which
=    shames,
=  and lazy hour, are you willing to find them?  For you to proclaim
= you always do not believe in me? always acid accumulates for me!(??)

juH-lIj-vo': from your home.

>From your home, from you, do you intentionally send your
*spirit* to eavesdrop on my deeds?  Are you willing to locate
seeming shame(s), and lazy hour(s)? Do you always refuse to trust me,
so that you can proclaim (it)? Acid always accumulates for me!
(This is wormwood to me!)

='ach ghobe'. chomuSHa', 'ach ghu'vamvaD
=yapbe'; vem mInwIj qamuSHa'mo' jIH.
=jIleS 'e' jeytaH qamuSHa'ghach qaD.
=vaj, SoHvaD reH ngIvwI' vIDa, bang 'IH.

= But no,  you love me, but for this situation
= it is not enouth;  my eyes wake up  because I love you.
= The challenge of my love for you defeats that I rest.
= Thus, for you I always behave as a patrolman, beautiful love.

But no.  You love me, but for this situation
it is not enough;  my eyes wake up  because *I* love you.
The challenge of my love for you defeats that I rest (my rest).
Thus, for you I always behave as a patrolman, beautiful love.

=SoHvaD jIngIvtaHvIS, vogh bIQongbe';
=choHop; nISum je latlh; jIHvo' nInge'.
=
=  while I'm patroling for you, somewhere you are not asleep;
=  you are far from me; others are near to you also; they take you
=     away from me.

Yeah. It doesn't translate into English well, does it. I think it's still
good Klingon, but that's just me...

Nick.

Back to archive top level