tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 10 13:09:55 1994

Sonnet 61

I came up with this literal translation of Nick's sonnet 61,
and I want to make sure that I'm reading it correctly. So help me
out where you think it should be read differently.  (??) indicates
where I was especially uncertain.

*wIlyam SeQpIr*. *Sonet*mey bom javmaHwa'.
  William Shakespeare.  Song of the Sonnets 61.

qanajtaHmo' SoQbe' mInyoDDu'wIj,
qaStaHvIS rammey Doy'qu' 'e' DanIb'a'?
jIQong 'e' qaghlu'meH qar'a' bIjIj,
mInlaH muvaqtaHvIS nIrurbogh QIb'a'!

  Because I'm dreaming of you, my eyelids are open,
  During the really tired nights, are you identical to that?
  For one to interrupt that I sleep (for the interruption of my
sleep), right? you cooperate,
  sight while shadows which resemble you mock me?  (??)

juHlIjvo', SoHvo', ta'meywIj DaDaqmeH
qa'lIj'e' chIch DangeH'a'? tuHmoHwI'Hey,
rep buDqu' je Datu'qang'a'? bImaqmeH
reH chovoqQo'qu''a'? reH jIHvaD vI' pey!

  You  deliver from us, from you, you intentionally send your
  spirit to eavesdrop on my accomplishments?  apparent thing which
    shames,
  and lazy hour, are you willing to find them?  For you to proclaim
 you always do not believe in me? always acid accumulates for me!(??)

'ach ghobe'. chomuSHa', 'ach ghu'vamvaD
yapbe'; vem mInwIj qamuSHa'mo' jIH.
jIleS 'e' jeytaH qamuSHa'ghach qaD.
vaj, SoHvaD reH ngIvwI' vIDa, bang 'IH.

  But no,  you love me, but for this situation
  it is not enouth;  my eyes wake up  because I love you.
  The challenge of my love for you defeats that I rest.
  Thus, for you I always behave as a patrolman, beautiful love.

SoHvaD jIngIvtaHvIS, vogh bIQongbe';
choHop; nISum je latlh; jIHvo' nInge'.

  while I'm patroling for you, somewhere you are not asleep;
  you are far from me; others are near to you also; they take you
     away from me.

Back to archive top level