tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 07 07:54:46 1994

Re: KLBC: qajatlh

>     Also in the penultimate sentence (I love having chances to use
>"penultimate" correctly...) I suspect the verb should be {lab}. The
>definitions in TKD are confusing, but if you check the usage in ST3, you see
>that {lI'} means "download" or "receive" a file, while {lab} means "upload"
>or "send" a file. I think the author was offering to upload/send the file to
>a place from which the reader could download/receive the file.
>
>     The definitions as stated are {lI'} = "transmit data (to a place)".
>Unfortunately, it isn't clear in the definition that the person speaking is
>standing at the place to which the data is being transmitted, and so that
>person is downloading or receiving the transmission. It is easy to think that
>you can transmit data to ANOTHER place and that's {lI'}, but it is not.
>
>     Similarly, {lab} = "transmit data (from a place)" is ambiguous because
>again, the person speaking has to be standing at the place from which the
>data is being transmitted. You can misinterpret this to mean transmitting
>data to ANOTHER place. If you doubt my interpretation of this, watch ST3.
>
>     Aww, what the hell. Watch ST3 ANYWAY. Christopher Lloyd is the best
>Klingon actor yet. Nobody else comes close, IMESHO. Except maybe the two
>sisters for whom I long, passionately... vIneH 'ej vIneHqu' 'ej vIneHcha'
>
>charghwI'

Certainly he speaks the best Klingon, in any case. {{:-)

However, I have viewed this film many times, and I don't find the
evidence to support your claims about lI' and lab.

The definitions we're given in TKD are ultra-worthless. since the
very concept of transmitting data has embedded in it the notion that
the data moves *both* *from* one place *to* another.  I've never
been able to satisfactorily determine what the difference between
lab and lI' could possibly be.

What you end up claiming (in the followup post which I did not quote
from) is that lab is to transmit data and lI' is to receive it.
This doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.  Hev is to receive,
including data (used as such in ST5, reluctant though I am to rely
on that particular source for too much).  I'm sorry, but I can't
find any way to read the words "transmit data (to a place)" as
meaning "to receive data".  They are just NOT the same thing at all.

Now, I remember the use of lab in ST3.  Valkris says "Su' labbeH",
which only makes sense if we treat it as two sentences (even though
she doesn't say it that way) So:  "Su'. labbeH."  I don't recall the
exact subtitle, but it was something along the lines of "Ready to
transmit".  This seems straightforward enough, so there doesn't seem
to be much problem with lab.

But I frankly don't remember lI' showing up at all.  I thought I
knew pretty much all the Klingon in that film by heart, but I could
be wrong.  I'll go back and watch it again, hopefully tonight.  I'm
pretty sure lI' shows up in connection with the data being
*useful*-- the other meaning of lI'--... hmmmm, that could mean it
was one of those changed-subtitle things that was backfit to make
work, which is often the case when we find homonyms or synonyms.

Which reminds me, I found a *wonderful* example of such backfitting
which I must share with you all.  Unfortunately, I have my notes on
it at home, but I'll try to post it later tonight; I've been meaning
to post it for some time now (Yeah, mark, it's the one I told you
about on the phone).

                        --Krankor

Back to archive top level