tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 06 12:18:34 1994

Re: KLBC: Grammar question

ghItlh Bill.Willmerdinger:
>After watching "Blood Oath", I decided to try translating a couple of the
>lines which our Klingon brothers spoke.  One in particular which I wanted to
>translate was "Perhaps it is a good day to live."

>On the surface, it looks easy enough.  I got:
[...]
>chaq yInmeH jaj QaQ 'oH DaHjaj'e'

I would just like to suggest
{DaHjaj chaq QaQ yIn}
"Today perhaps life is good".

Using the {-meH} in this case doesn't look right to me, because it implies
that there is a purpose.The English "to live" is not always the same as
{yInmeH}. {yInmeH} is more accurately translated by "in order to live, for
the purpose of living".

Hope that helps. The {-meH} suffix was one of the toughest suffixes for me to
grasp when I first started learning Klingon. I don't know how true that would
be of everyone, tho.

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level