tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 06 12:33:56 1994

tlhIngan Hol ghojwI' Hem

>>         tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaHmo', vIHem.
>>         "Because I am continuing to learn Klingon, I am proud"
>> --HoD trI'Qal

>     Good. I'd like to add another possible version of this:

>            tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaH 'e' vIHem
>          "I am proud that I am learning Klingon language."

This strikes me as either an odd reading of TKD's translation of {Hem} or
else a structure that is too English-oriented. {Hem} looks intransitive to
me. {'e'} is not really the same as the English "that" in this case. Actually
English has no real equivalent to {'e'}. "That" in this case is a conjunction
nominalizing the entire clause following it. Plus, like I said, I really
don't think {Hem} could take objects. I have a hard time accepting your
version, unless you perhaps thought {Hem} might really translate as "be proud
*of*". Otherwise, I'd say you have to use trI'Qal's version (altho the
{vIHem} there should be {jIHem}).

>charghwI'

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level