tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 03 15:12:07 1994

Probably a stupid question...

Hello!

In learning Klingon, I practice writing, translating English-->tlhIngan Hol.
Well, I have come across a little snag that somehow I have not yet been
able to successfully figure out.

Well, we all know that one would use a noun-prounoun construction to
form sentences that would require the verb 'to be' in English.  But how
would you negate such a sentence?  For example, if you wanted to say 'I
am not a Klingon' would you say:

	a)  tlhInganbe' jIH        or
	b)  tlhIngan jIHbe'

or does it matter?  When I think about it, either of them makes sense in
certain respects, but I cannot find anything concrete about it in TKD.
That is, of course, if be' is allowed to be used with a noun anyway.  Anyone
have any ideas?  Have I just missed it somewhere in the book?  Thanks...

-Carl

Back to archive top level