tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 03 21:37:44 1994

Re: Probably a stupid question...

\Well, we all know that one would use a noun-prounoun construction to
\form sentences that would require the verb 'to be' in English.  But how
\would you negate such a sentence?  For example, if you wanted to say 'I
\am not a Klingon' would you say:
\
\	a)  tlhInganbe' jIH        or
\	b)  tlhIngan jIHbe'
\
In these constructions, the pronoun is acting as a verb, and any verb suffixes
may be applied as necessary to the pronoun.   In general, suffixes may not be
attached to a word that is not of the correct type; you may not put a verb
suffix on a noun, or vice-versa.  A noun with -be' , in particular, appears to
be a compound using the nound be' (woman), so that "tlhInganbe' jIH" could
be constured to mean "I am a Klingon woman".

-marqoS

Back to archive top level