tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 01 02:55:53 1994

mujatlhmoH nuq jay'

>From: Topic Goran <[email protected]>
>Date: Thu, 31 Mar 94 18:15:47 METDST

(Blah, boy am I ever behind on my email!)

>> to say that biology causes us to talk. In this case, though, I think maybe it
>> DOES make sense to use {-'e'}:
>>
>>                     nujatlhmoH yInQeD'e'

>I like these solutions. But, what is the difference between the statement
>above and

>		 nujatlhmoH yInQeD?

>(Sorry for asking silly questions, but I really can't figure it out.)

This is something that deserves mention.  The "-'e'" suffix, except in some
situations, doesn't make an actual difference in grammar, just in emphasis.
My reading of "-'e'" suffixed nouns usually involves locutions like "it is"
in English translations.  So "yaS vIlegh" means "I see the officer," but
"yaS'e' vIlegh" means "it is the officer that I see."  The emphasis is
placed on the officer, presumably "as opposed to someone else" or
something.  This reading is supported by Okrand's words in 3.3.5.  It's
pretyty much exactly what he says, actually.  So here, we have "It's bio
that's making us talk."

>   qoran

~mark

Back to archive top level