tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 03 10:27:35 1994

Re: mujatlhmoH nuq jay'

Hu'tegh! nuq ja' [email protected] jay'?

=this sentence has a variety of possible interpretations. One of the things
=Klingon seems to be annoyingly lacking is some way to express speaking
="*about* a topic". I don't like using {-'e'}, as Sorensen suggested in HolQeD
=2:3, pg.8.

A topic marker doesn't make an "about" preposition, true. While the -moH
solution proposed is ingenious, it isn't quite general. How would I say
"She heard the news *about* him"?

I often think that my two huge Klingon texts contain all solutions to problems
of Klingon expression past and future, if only future generations would sift
through them ;) . Seriously though, in my texts I've solved this, a la
{lo'taHvIS/"with"}, by using buS, and increasingly, qel:

We're talking about Klingon: tlhIngan Hol wIqeltaHvIS maja'chuq
She heard the news about him: ghaH buSbogh De''e' Qoypu'

=There may be another verb meaning "talk about,
=discuss (a topic)" in the still uncharted lexicon. But who's to say?

qel and buS are in fact not that far off from this.

Hope that helps.

--
Nick.

Back to archive top level