tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 01 02:56:07 1994

KBTP: Marcan vocabulary

>From: "Kevin Wilson (DV 1994)" <[email protected]>
>Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 15:30:36 -0400 (EST)

>On Thu, 31 Mar 1994 [email protected] wrote:

>> I heard {ngagh} on the tape. ({targhlIj yIngagh yIruch} "Go mate with your
>> targ") Imesho, you should be careful using these words for which we have no
>> written canonical examples. You might be right, but then again, if Okrand
>> ever comes out and tells us it was {ngagh} on the tape instead on {nagh},
>> you'll have to go back and change every one of those {nagh}'s. What a task.

>When I listened to the tape, I heard {nga'}, which I assumed was a
>shortened for of nga'chuq, giving us a canonical example for using {nga'}
>as a transitive verb without the type 1 suffix.  Did anyone else think this?

Yeah, I thought of it, but my ears disagreed!  Did you really hear a '
there and not a gh?  It could have been mispronunciation; Okrand does that
from time to time, and he does say that a sufficienty emphatic ' may
partake of the gh nature, but it really didn't sound that way to me.

Now, maybe the two words are etymologically related, but that's another
question.

~mark

Back to archive top level