tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 15 23:58:58 1993

Re: tuqIHjaj DaH

>SarI'neS

pIrI'neS je!

>qoran 'a' pongwIj luQoybej tlhInganpu'

nuqneH, qoran.  naDev SoHmo' jIQuchqu'.

>tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom vISuqlaHbe' vaj qay'ghach puS vIghaj

Dojqu'!  mu'ghom Daghajbe'taHvIS QaQqu' ghItlhghachlIj!

>vIghItlhlaH vIQaQvIpbe'

jIyajbe'.  "I can write it.  I'm not afraid to be good it." mugh
Dochvam.

>QaghmeywIj law'bej

ghobe'.  "law'bej QaghmeywIj" Daja' DaneHlaw'.

>tulughmoH vItlhob

qalughqangqu'moHbej {{:-)

>tlhIngan Hol vIloDlaH je 'a ghoghmey vISovbe'mo' Holvam vIjatlhbe'laH
>chay' I 'je S jatlhlu'

ghobe'.  "chay' I S je jatlhlu'" 'oHnIS.  I == i, as in "big" or
"hit".  S is mostly like "sh", but with the tongue farther back in
the mouth, with the tip pointing towards the top of the mouth.  Oh
my, I seem to have lapsed into English!

>mujangqangwI'vaD vItlho'qu'

pagh 'oH. {{:-)

>tlhoqo' yIrarQo'

naDev not rarbej tlhoqo'!

pagh Daja'pu' "tlhoqo' yIrurQo'" DaneH'a'?  {{:-)

>Qapla' maQoychuqlu'be'

Huh?  This is a mess.  The combination of ma-, -chuq, and -lu'
leaves me grasping at air.  The -chuq suffix requires a no-object
prefix, so ma- is fine, but then -lu' requires a third-person-object
prefix, so it would have to be wI-.  But more than the syntactic, I
can't make any semantic sense out of it.  The whole thing seems to
come out meaning "One doesn't hear each other us success."

Ooops.  English again.  I promised myself I wasn't gonna use English
until I crossed the line below into the English zone....

>My real name is Goran Topic. I didn't want to disturb the harmony of
>the text (however error-filled it might be) with any non-Klingon symbols.
>I can't translate my name conveniently into Klingon, so I just transcribed
>it... (would you like to say something like 'o'pIch mupong, or even
>qara' mupong?!? :)) I hope you forgive me for using a word that is not
>sanctioned by Okrand, just this once. :)

Making up a name is not the same as making up a word.  Usually a
name doesn't mean anything, it's just a name (Quick:  without
consulting a reference work, what does "Edward" mean?  "Janet"?
"Marc Okrand"?  For that matter, what does qeylIS mean?  qolotlh?).
So making up a name is just fine and dandy.  The only real
restriction is that it probably wants to more or less follow Klingon
phonology morphology joq.

So, welcome aboard, qoran!

                    --Krankor

Back to archive top level