tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 26 12:20:19 1993

Re: Words not found in TKD

Doch tlha' jatlh Matthew Whiteacre:
:
:
: I have been comparing several of the parsers which people have written, and
: have found a list of words which I can't located in TKD.  Are these words
: canon?  Do they even exist, or are they the product of multiple typo's?
: Thanks
Well, as ~mark said, they are mostly from an issue of veS QonoS (I was pretty
baffled the first time I saw them), but many of them are simply TKD roots with
expected suffixes, or compounds of TKD roots with their expected meaning as
compounds -- in other words, nothing *truly* new, merely a bit of spoon-feeding
for those who don't really know how Suvwi' Hol works (exit Qanqor mode ;> ).

:
:  'uD'a'              laser (n)
Unanalyzable, but one wonders if >'uD< will eventually be revealed to mean
"light" or some such, given the presence of augmentative >'a'<...

:  chaDvay             hertz (frequency) (n)
I think you mean >chaDvay'<. Unanalyzable.

:  HIvDuj              attack fighter (n)
>Hiv< "attack" + >Duj< "ship". Pretty simple.

:  la''a'              commandant (n)
>la'< "commander" + >'a'< (augmentative[NS1]). One would think a >la''a'< is of
higher rank than a >la'<... (BTW, I believe this word is in the addendum to
TKD).

:  maQmIgh             dark omen, sign of evil coming (n)
Unanalyzable (did Okrand have an archrival by the name of Mark Migg? ;> )

:  nga'chuq            sex (i.e. perform sex; always subject) (v)
Well, as we all know, this _appears_ to have a reflexive suffix...

:  pabpo'              grammerian (n)
Not from veS QonoS. I first saw it used by Eli Israel. Apparently, Okrand has
used >po'< as a noun ("expert") as well as a verb.

:  roSHa'moh           paralyze (v)
Hmmm. The >Ha'moH< makes it very tantalizing to assume that >roS< means
"be_motile" or some such......

:  Say'qu'moh          sterlize (v)
At last! Another analyzable word. >Say'< "be_clean" + >qu'< "very"[VSR] + >moH<
"cause"[VS4]. I think we can safely assume that >Say'qu'< means "be_sterile".

:  tonSaw              klingon fighting (n)
:  yatlh               pregnant, be pregnant (v)
These two appear to be unanalyzable.

:
: Also, if there are additional words which are used in Power Klingon which
: are considered canon (HUH = bile, nga' as a root, etc.) then could you
: please pass those on.  As evidenced by my recent attempts, I can not
: translitrate from spoken Klingon very well.
Whoever does this, could you post them to the list? I'm sure those of us who
don't yet have _Power Klingon_ would really appreciate it. >qatlho'qu'.<

:               ____
:              |INRI|
:          ____|    |____
:         |              |
:         |____      ____|
:              |    |           Matt Whiteacre
:              |    |           [email protected]
:
:

Qapla' Qichqemwi'vo'.