tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 19 14:21:56 1993

Re: How To Learn?

Paul J. Clegg says:
:
:
: I think my original post got lost, so here's a recap:
:
: I own the Conversational Klingon cassette, and the book (with the extra
: TNG and ST6 material), but I've really no idea how to go about actually
: learning it.
:
: I recognize that HOW you learn something is almost as important as WHAT
: you learn; I'd really like to learn Klingon, but I'm not sure how to go
: about it.  The book is basically a grammar reference, but you don't
: learn (insert native language here) by constructing sentences from the
: start (or do you?).
:
: I would probably be inclined to try a "word of the day" method of learning,
: but all the prefixes and suffixes for both verbs and nouns make even that
: strenuous.  How did everyone else learn Klingon?  Is the best method
: brute-force memorization?
Well, I'm not exactly an expert at Klingon, but I just got the dictionary and
the tape (which, by the way didn't help me much) and subscribed to this list.
For a while I thought I'd never learn this way, but once I stopped looking at
Klingon posts in abject terror and looking things up (or better yet, putting
them through A. Appleyard's parser), I really got a feel for the language...

(cha' vatlhvi' deQwij/my $.02)

:
: ...Paul
: