tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 19 10:03:03 1993

nujDaq qam lanpu' vay'

>From: Peter Garza <[email protected]>
>Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 22:53:57 -0600 (CST)

>Okay, here goes...

I thought I saw something(s) that Krankor may have missed...

>   jech DuSaQHomwIjDaq vay' noy wIrurchoH 'e' 'oH Qu'maj Qav'e'.
>DuSaQHomwIjDaq la' Riker tIn ghaHlaHtaHbogh loD'e' tu'lu'.  raplaw'
>qabDu'chaj.

Took me a second on "Riker tIn", then I realized how well-done that was.
majQa'.

>   Riker qab ghajnISpu'mo' "_ST:TNG Companion_"Hey je'ta' ghaH
>jIHvaD ja'lI'.  "technical manuals" laDlI'vIS "Trekkies" Hoch paqvam
>vIje'ta' 'e'mo' (1) 'ar jI"be embarrassed"pu' (2) 'e' DaSovbe' ja'ta'
>ghaH.

Can you say "laDlI'vIS"?  "-lI'" is sorta like "-taH", but it would seem
that "-vIS" really needs "-taH", according to section 4.2.9.  I'm not
entirely sure about the "-lI'"s elsewhere here, but aspect's tricky to keep
straight, and I won't say you should change them.

>   tlhIngan Hol jatlhbogh loDvaD bIja'taH vIja'ta'.  'IjtaH Holvam
>vIjatlh 'e' Sovbogh juppu'wIj wa' je 'ej Haghqu'choH ghaH.

"juppu'wI'"; they're sentient (I hope!).  Do you mean "one of my friends
who know I speak Klingon"?  Then the "wa'" comes *first*.  When numbers
come afterwards they mean something like "number one" (you used this
construction when referring to your music teacher in a previous post--it
was you, right?--and I figured it sort of worked for "first", though
wa'DIch would have been better).

>   loDvaD nujvo' qamlIj yIlel jatlhta' jupwIj.

I note that you don't have the possessive on {nujvo'}, and I don't really
miss it.  Many languages don't have the obssessive need to put possessives
where they're obvious that English has (he has his hands in [the]
pockets... why do I need to say "his" pockets?  If it were someone else's,
I'd have told you so).  jupwI' again.

>   HIja',  "ankle"Daq 'oH vIghuppu' neH jangpu' loD.
>   jIba'taH neH 'ej ghaHvaD Ho'Du'wIj vI'angtaH.

Heh... I showed him my teeth... What does Larry Niven say about smiling
being misinterpreted by some races as a show of agressiveness, baring the
teeth... :)

>(1) I wanted to say "because of <the whole sentence>".  Since "'e'" is
>a pronoun, I guessed it could take verb suffixes like the other
>pronouns.

This has been brought up already, but so far as I know is still on shaky
ground.  You could recast as Krankor suggests, or maybe use "Dochvetlhmo'"
(or Dochvammo'); those should work well.

~mark

Back to archive top level