tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 18 20:54:22 1993

nujDaq qam lanpu' vay'

I'll try to write this in tlhIngan Hol later.  I just gotta get this
out :).
	In my Costume and Makeup class (Drama major) our final project
is to look like someone famous.  There is a guy in our class who could
be Commander Riker with some extra weight.  The faces are very
similar.
	Anyway, he was explaining to me that he had to buy _ST:TNG
Companion_ (I think that was the name) for the pictures of Riker.  He
said, "You don't know how embarrassing it was getting this book with
all the Trekkies standing around looking through all the technical
manuals and stuff."
	To which I responded, "You're talking to a guy who speaks
Klingon."  One of my friends, who knows I speak Klingon, was also
listening to the conversation, and she just started laughing.
	"Take the foot out of your mouth," she said to the guy.
	"Yeah, I just kinda swallowed it to the ankle," he replied.
	I just sat there and smiled.

Okay, here goes...

	jech DuSaQHomwIjDaq vay' noy wIrurchoH 'e' 'oH Qu'maj Qav'e'.
DuSaQHomwIjDaq la' Riker tIn ghaHlaHtaHbogh loD'e' tu'lu'.  raplaw'
qabDu'chaj.
	Riker qab ghajnISpu'mo' "_ST:TNG Companion_"Hey je'ta' ghaH
jIHvaD ja'lI'.  "technical manuals" laDlI'vIS "Trekkies" Hoch paqvam
vIje'ta' 'e'mo' (1) 'ar jI"be embarrassed"pu' (2) 'e' DaSovbe' ja'ta'
ghaH.
	tlhIngan Hol jatlhbogh loDvaD bIja'taH vIja'ta'.  'IjtaH Holvam
vIjatlh 'e' Sovbogh juppu'wIj wa' je 'ej Haghqu'choH ghaH.
	loDvaD nujvo' qamlIj yIlel jatlhta' jupwIj.
	HIja',  "ankle"Daq 'oH vIghuppu' neH jangpu' loD.
	jIba'taH neH 'ej ghaHvaD Ho'Du'wIj vI'angtaH.

(1) I wanted to say "because of <the whole sentence>".  Since "'e'" is
a pronoun, I guessed it could take verb suffixes like the other
pronouns.

(2) "How much I was embarrassed", but I doubt this is a correct use of
"'ar".  There is probably a better word or construction, but I
couldn't think of any right off hand.

Anyway, I thought that was pretty funny, and the guy turned a nice
bright red.

Peter Garza
[email protected]

Back to archive top level