tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 23 12:41:29 1993

Question from STrek-l

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1993 00:37:35 PST

>>My vote is for yInpu'wI' chISlaw', though I'm open for suggestions. It
>>doesn't exactly roll off the tongue when calling a cat, but they could always
>>call it yInpu' for short.

>This is my first real crack at translation and all that.  Now, if I did this
>correctly I think this says (roughly): "My apparently white lives".  Is this
>correct?
>Pu' being the plural
>wI' being possessive
>yIn being lives (I'm assuming the noun)
>chiS being white
>law' being apparently or seemingly

>Am I right?

Not quite.  Keep "yIn" as the verb, and take "-wI'" as the agentive suffix.
Thus, "yInpu'wI'" is "thing that finished living, thing that lived (in the
past)", thus implying ghostliness (I don't remember who proposed it). So,
"apparently-white former liver".

~mark

Back to archive top level