tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 23 10:42:57 1993

Re: HoS voDleH jIH

I think you meant "meH, naDev qaS wanI' ramqu'"...  Your translation was
accurate for "nothing happening here" but wasn't what Kruge said in the
actual film. despite the English translation.  What he said translated
more literally as "Bridge, trivial events happen here." which is better
rendered into English as "Bridge, nothing important happening here" or,
as the subtitle used, "Bridge, nothing (much) happening here."

For those who don't want to look up everything, the breakdown of the sentences
follows.  Those that already know the words can skip it ;)

meH,     naDev  qaS        wanI'     ram      -qu'
Bridge,  here   to happen  event(s)  trivial  very
             (happen/happens)

(this, by the way, is the manner of translation I was requesting the
occasional tlhIngan post be accompanied by.  Rather than a direct
translation into English, a word-by-word translation  so we could see
how Klingons fit them together, as well as determine which words mean
what.  I'm not a member of the group that believes that flipping dictionary
pages is any better practice learning a language than being told the
translation of each word outright (However, rephrasing into more correct
English sentences can only defeat the purpose, IMHO) )

- voDleH Qenatlh

Back to archive top level