tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 23 10:38:43 1993

Re: Question from STrek-l

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1993 00:37:35 PST
>
>>My vote is for yInpu'wI' chISlaw', though I'm open for suggestions. It
>>doesn't exactly roll off the tongue when calling a cat, but they could always
>>call it yInpu' for short.
>
>This is my first real crack at translation and all that.  Now, if I did this
>correctly I think this says (roughly): "My apparently white lives".  Is this
>correct?
>Pu' being the plural
>wI' being possessive
>yIn being lives (I'm assuming the noun)
>chiS being white
>law' being apparently or seemingly
>
>Am I right?

Well, we're trying for "grey ghost". chISlaw' is "apparently white" -
similar to English "off-white" - for "grey".

The assumption of the noun form for "yIn" is incorrect. Taking it to
be a verb gives "yInpu'", "it has lived", "yInpu'wI'", "one who has
lived" or "thing which has lived", for "ghost".

-QumpIn 'avrIn
 [email protected]

Back to archive top level