tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 03 11:39:28 1993

No Subject

To DNW: RE: Having messages in this list only in english.
Unfortunatly, I must disagree with you.  There are a few facts
that must be concidered in this discussion.
First:
	This list is for the topic of the Klingon Language.
	I will admit that I do not speak the Klingon language,
	though if I wewwre not interested in learning, I would
	not have jioned this list.  Therefore, having messages
	posted in Klingon is of benifit to those of us who are
	attempting to learn the language who are isolated from
	others of similar intrest.  Lets face it, this is a rather
	strange way to spend one's spare time.  Though it is a
	choice I have freely made, and therefore have the right
	to persue.  I think that this justifies the allowance
	of messages posted in Klingon.
Second:
	The reason for using English as the only other language
	should not be too dificult to understand or figure out.
	The majority of Europeans, students and adults, who
	would be using a computer and connected to InterNet
	speak english.  You are just one example.  The U.S.A.
	has failed it's students by not insisting that a second
	language be studied from the time a child enters school.
	Also, if another language were to be chosen, for international
	acceptance reasons, that language would most likely be French.
	Though I enjoy the German language (my brother speaks it with
	a high level of fluency) I, and I would guess, the majority
	of others in this list do not speak it.  This would make any
	posting in the German language unreadable to the majority
	of readers.  As this list is to help all who are attached,
	that would be counter productive, as I am sure the information
	you gave in the german language messages was of some value, or]
	you would not have posted it in the first place.

Your frustration is understood, not being able to converse in one's native
tounge, and being forced to use another language (I should have stated not
being ALLOWED to converse in one's native tongue) is cause for anger, but if you
look at the rules and there benifit to all who participate, I would think that
you would not mind using your ability to speak fluently in another language
(again, an ability that the majority of readers of this list I will guess
to not share) and convey your ideas for all to understand.
				Magick

Back to archive top level