tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 03 21:08:52 1993

More About Languages

I didn't intend for this to become a topic of its own, but it appears
that I did not communicate my intent properly and fully last time, as
evidenced by the discussion of the topic I've seen in the last few
messages.

The welcome message does state that messages on this list should appear
either in Klingon or in English. The English-only "restriction" is of
purely practical origin; it is the only human language that we can be
reasonably sure all list members understand.

It is not my intention to forbid the use of languages other than
Klingon and English. In the past, there have been many messages
offering comparisons between Klingon and other human languages, for
example.

Rather, the kind of message that I think should be avoided is a message
primarily in a language other than English or Klingon that appears without
translation. Since the majority of list members do not speak Estonian,
for example, a message in that language contains no Klingon-related
information that they can see. To enable everyone to participate, I
think that we should hold our discussions of Klingon in English. (Except
when we can hold them in Klingon, of course.)

Eli

Back to archive top level