tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 13 16:43:48 1993

Re: Klingon Merry Christmas?

batlh choja', Will Martin quv:

=     I think a Klingon would either say, "Merry Christmas" in English or not
=at all, with all odds on the latter. Of course, it comes out sounding like
="merI' QISmaS", unless the Klingon has learned English well enough to lose
=the accent.

Given the proliferation of Xmas songs here, I don't see why we can't assume
*QISmaS* is a loan into Klingon, and express it as "Quchjaj QISmaSlij", or
"SoHvaD Quchjaj QISmaS".

Nick "Meri Kurisimasu" Nicholas.
--
***
"Relax." -- "yIleS." [Three seconds pause.] "Stop Relaxing!" -- "yIleSHa'!"

Back to archive top level