tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 27 19:47:58 2012

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Dhammapada 183

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

At 16:34 '?????' 4/27/2012, Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh wrote:

ghItlhpu' Qov, jatlh:
> In {SoHvaD tlhIngan Hol vIghojmoH} the lesson learned isn't
> really the object of the verb.

jang ghunchu'wI', jatlh:
> There's room for debate on the exact nuances of grammar at work, but
> what else but the object could it be?

jang je Qov, jatlh:
> What I suppose I meant was, "the lesson learned only gets to be the
> object of the verb because the student is hiding under the -vaD.
> Ordinarily the student should be the object of ghojmoH."

That's English talk. :) I'd argue it goes the other way: the student
can only sneak up the sentence hierarchy to direct object when there's
no other direct object to block it doing so. A while ago ghunchu'wI'
suggested it might be a parallel to the prefix trick, which makes some
sense to me.

The verb is {ghojmoH}. ghojlaHbe' paQDI'norgh. ghojlaH ghojwI' neH. vaj ghojwI' ghojnISlu'.