tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 02 18:16:17 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Shopping

Adm qe'San ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

~~QUOTE re: 'echletHom  :
By the way, the word comes up in Monopoly also (not with "birthday," of
course), so I'm glad I was working on both at the same time.

All the best,

- Marc
~~End QUOTE

> >belt - qogh
>
> I wonder if Marc had any idea how annoying it was going to be to have
> these two things share a word, I was going to have Mahoun buy a Separ
> earring, but the annoyance of trying to make sure it was understood
> that it wasn't a fancy belt buckle just put me off.

I wondered if he'd or a friend had ever been belted round the ear as a kid
or at least assumed that connection

> >comb - jIb Ho'Du'
>
> This makes me sad because I like to have the extra clarity of using
> -mey when using a body part name to describe a non body part and it
> looks like I'm wrong.

Possibly as this is a descriptive usage it's the way to go and as -mey on
body parts implies all over the place you wouldn't want someone to think you
wanted to decorate your hair with teeth you'd knocked out of an enemy ;-)

> >hairbrush - jIb yachwI'
>
> I've called it a jIb HabmoHwI'. I think you now know all you need to
> about my approach to personal grooming.
>
> >towel - QaDmoHwI' DIr
>
> I have just called it a QaDmoHwI'
>
> >compact disc - De' jengva'
>
> Very good name.
>
> >clock - tlhaq
> >flashlight - 'ul Sech
>
> We've used that for a long time.  Some Americans may not know that
> "electric torch" is what it's called in England and some of her
> colonies.

To be honest we just call them a torch and if you switch the help language
to English (UK) that's what you'll find listed.. The only time I've called a
torch a flash light was when I had one as a kid specifically for flashing
Morse code rather than lighting the way.. But I knew Sech was not a
flashlight/torch so added 'ul for clarification and Marc loved it.

> >teddy bear - mIl'oD ngeb
>
> I had ngebbogh mIl'oD tun
>
> >cassette - wab qoSta' 'aplo'
>
> I had no guess and nothing but open mouthed astonishment at the least
> useful word in the list engendering two new Klingon words. Oh Marc,
> what is the word for punchcard? cuniform writing? I guess we already
> have stone tablet.

As someone else mentions the template has been around a while and in fact
Eurotalk first talked about translating the course into Klingon in 2001 but
didn't do anything till 2009. I can say that they told me they are going to
be updating the template but as they have to do that across all the
languages it's not a straightforward process.. Any word they replace would
have to go back to CBS for their approval so it wouldn't surprise me that
when they do do it Klingon would be the first as that delay factor makes it
a kind of king pin in the template.. The first thing to be updated is the
visual aspect of the courses and those getting the download version have had
a glimpse of that.

Apart from that I looked at these words as an exercise and when Marc got
involved and decided to create new words to help it's not that we have a
word for audio cassette but that we have a example use of a new word in this
case for the cassette but also battery.  Imagine if we only had 'aplo' for
battery and we'd skipped cassette.. Would it mean a container just for
electricity only useable in that context? Now it allows a kind of freedom to
be creative.

I think Sustel later suggests an enclosed container due to the examples here
and in Monopoly and I'd have to agree.

> >ball - QujmeH moQ
>
> No surprises.
>
> >camera - mIllogh qonwI'
>
> maj.
>
> >radio - wab HevwI'
>
> Interesting that it is wab and not chaDvay'

I suppose although that could refer to any signal receiver rather than the
type of device you'd tune into to listen to music Having said that I took a
similar tack but used Se'.. In the first draft as I didn't have sight of the
images I was thinking of some radios being 2 way communication devices as
well as what we have here so I had written Se' HablI'.  Marc said that
although not wrong the picture depicted something that wasn't 2 way and
wanted wab in there so updated the entry to wab HevwI'.  This also then fits
better with cassette.

> >television - HaSta jIH
>
> That's weird.  HaSta and jIH sort of mean the same thing.

When you watch television you look in the direction of the jIH but if it's
good you rarely notice it until the HaSta has finished

> >saucepan - Se'tu'
>
> Damn, Klingon is just like English for me now: multiple words for
> "cooking vessel" and I have no idea which one is which or why. I call
> them all saucepans, and when the recipe says to use a dutch oven, or
> a frying pan or a stockpot or whatever, I just put the food in one
> that is big enough and cook it.

Klingon do love their food.. Although you may not want too many words for a
pot there is a story behind this word which comes about from recording too
little information about a word so Marc and myself had a discussion on pot
words if you want call it an argument or a "set-to" which Marc finished by
offering the new word.. I couldn't refuse:

~~ QUOTE:
I haven't talked with ***** about "saucepan," but here's what I was
thinking.  The picture is, as you say,  a little pot (or pan) with a single
handle, which is exactly what a "saucepan" is (at least in American usage --
I assume in British usage as well).  ***** ** ** ****** **** *** **** **
******.  'un is any sort of pot or pan, so the picture is a picture of a 'un
(though lots of other pictures might also be used for 'un).   A nevDagh has
two little handles on it, so the picture is not one of a nevDagh.1

Thinking a bit more about it, perhaps 'unHom would have been better -- or at
least more restrictive.

Or maybe there should be a new word.  Like Se'tu'.
~~ End QUOTE

> >iron - Sut HabmoHwI'
>
> I had Sut beQmoHwI'

I supposed the difference here is something can be smooth and rounded but
not flat and rounded... I started off with beQ myself until I thought I
thought about all the clothes I iron and that although I generally flatten
them the purpose is to make them smooth when worn.. plus something's like
curtains/drapes can be steam ironed insitu so in those circumstance never
flattened just smoothed/de-wrinkled.  But descriptively both work.

> >suntan lotion - DIr qanwI' taS

Corrected previously as DIr QanwI' taS

> I had what did I come up with when I was looking for it at
> qep'a'?  DIrvaD woj botmeH taS? Anyone remember?
>
> >film - mIllogh qonwI' qoSta'
>
> This list covers time travel too.

I have a digital camera but do still use a 35mm film  camera but like
cassette this gives us another example use of qoSta' which we wouldn't
otherwise have.

qe'San