tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 02 12:54:46 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Eurotalk - New Words - Shopping

Qov ([email protected])

I had the most fun with this section when I received the CD. It was so exciting clicking on each new thing. I would guess what it would be called, then click. I was going to ration them out longer, but my husband was having fun watching me so we did them all at once.

postcard - QIn 'echletHom

We can make up a wonderful story about a hard little brigadier who carries short messages.

sunglasses - mIn QanwI' nguv

I guessed mIn QanwI'

stamp - HIjmeH chaw'
shirt - yIvbeH
tie - mong Ha'quj

I guessed it.

pants - yopwaH
jacket - wep
skirt - paH bID

I very much like it.

dress - paH
pen - ghItlhwI'
soap - Say'moHwI' tlhagh

I love it.

shoes - waqmey
T-Shirt - yIvbeH SeQHa'

Funny!

shorts - yopwaH bID

guessed it based on paH bID

pencil - ghojmoH ghItlhwI'

Interesting perspective of how Marc views pencils.

scissors - cha''etlh pe'wI'

I didn't guess this one but should have.

belt - qogh

I wonder if Marc had any idea how annoying it was going to be to have these two things share a word, I was going to have Mahoun buy a Separ earring, but the annoyance of trying to make sure it was understood that it wasn't a fancy belt buckle just put me off.

razor - rol taj

I guessed pob taj and then laughed at rol taj, because well, I'm never going to need a rol taj. (petamchoH! be'Daq pob 'oHtaH!)

lipstick - wuS rItlh naQ

Dochvam vIlo'

newspaper - De' chu' ghItlh

And seeing as there is no "paper" explicitly in the name, I think we can safely use it for any news document, with perhaps De' chu' ghItlhHom for an article.

umbrella - SIS yoD

guessed it!

book - paq
matches - qul naQmey

Guessed it!

light bulb - wovmoHwI' moQ

Guessed it!

toothpaste - Ho'Du' Say'moHwI' tlhagh

Didn't guess it, but should have.

toothbrush - Ho' teywI'

Have always called it Ho' Say'moHwI'. Explains something about the Klingon approach to toothbrushing. Note also that it's Ho'Du' Say'moHwI' tlhagh and Ho' teywI' (plural/singular)

comb - jIb Ho'Du'

This makes me sad because I like to have the extra clarity of using -mey when using a body part name to describe a non body part and it looks like I'm wrong.

hairbrush - jIb yachwI'

I've called it a jIb HabmoHwI'. I think you now know all you need to about my approach to personal grooming.

towel - QaDmoHwI' DIr

I have just called it a QaDmoHwI'

compact disc - De' jengva'

Very good name.

clock - tlhaq
flashlight - 'ul Sech

We've used that for a long time. Some Americans may not know that "electric torch" is what it's called in England and some of her colonies.

teddy bear - mIl'oD ngeb

I had ngebbogh mIl'oD tun

cassette - wab qoSta' 'aplo'

I had no guess and nothing but open mouthed astonishment at the least useful word in the list engendering two new Klingon words. Oh Marc, what is the word for punchcard? cuniform writing? I guess we already have stone tablet.

ball - QujmeH moQ

No surprises.

camera - mIllogh qonwI'

maj.

radio - wab HevwI'

Interesting that it is wab and not chaDvay'

television - HaSta jIH

That's weird.  HaSta and jIH sort of mean the same thing.

saucepan - Se'tu'

Damn, Klingon is just like English for me now: multiple words for "cooking vessel" and I have no idea which one is which or why. I call them all saucepans, and when the recipe says to use a dutch oven, or a frying pan or a stockpot or whatever, I just put the food in one that is big enough and cook it.

iron - Sut HabmoHwI'

I had Sut beQmoHwI'

suntan lotion - DIr qanwI' taS

I had what did I come up with when I was looking for it at qep'a'? DIrvaD woj botmeH taS? Anyone remember?

film - mIllogh qonwI' qoSta'

This list covers time travel too.

paper - nav
batteries - 'ul 'aplo'mey

Good name.

I really like these lists because they pretty much confirm that our instincts are correct. I'm sure a Klingon would understand me asking for a pob taj, that is if he understood the concept of shaving body hair, but they would do it in at least a surgical context, and their women look pretty smooth.