tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 03 09:18:11 2010

RE: Honoured

kff ([email protected])

So, this brings us into the nuances of Klingon politeness. What I
really had in mind when I wrote was something along the lines of:

"You experienced Klingon veteran has made an effort to help us newbies
improve our Klingon, in which case the honorable thing to do is for us
to make the effort to complete the assignment."

So my emphasis was on the very good thing that Quvar did, rather than
on Quvar's high personal honor (which I do not doubt). From the
examples it seems that {-neS} is more coupled to the social status of
the person you interact with, than the act they did. So it seems that
{QInlIj vIHevmo' jIquv} is the best expression. On the other hand,
maybe that is insufficiently polite and {QInlIj vIHevneS} is more
appropriate.

Finally, I seems to me that {batlh QInlIj vIHev} would be even less
polite; I could say that if I was Quvar's equal, for instance.

Are my musings correct?

     /buSwI'