tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 28 11:10:41 2010

RE: klin zha (was Re: New words)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Felix:
>> [...and it would give us a canonical tlhIngan Hol for klin zha
>> (tlhInja), which I'm sure many of us would be glad to have.]

ghunchu'wI':
> I don't think "canonical tlhIngan Hol for klin zha" is a well-formed
> concept. Klin zha is a *Klingonaase* term. Klin refers to something
> like the essense or spirit of what it means to be a Klingon/sentient
> non-servitor being, the "klin principle". Zha is clearly "game".
> though in The Final Reflection it is used metaphorically about as
> often as it is literally.
>
> Since there is no "zh" sound in Okrandian Klingon -- nor a true "kl"
> sound, for that matter -- I consider transliteration of the name a
> matter of personal preference. HoD Qanqor insists on pronouncing it
> {tlhInSa}. I choose to say {tlhInja}, though now that I consider it
> carefully, I seem to actually use a slightly retroflex variant of {j}
> and should probably adopt the conceit of spelling it {tlhInJa}.

For those wondering what they're talking about, here's a much earlier post by ghunchu'wI':

  Klin zha is a board game with similarities to a combination of
  chess and capture-the-flag, but in that novel it's also used on
  many levels as a metaphor for life... a literal translation of
  *klin zha* might be "the game of honor-ethics". The game itself
  is described somewhat sketchily in the book.  Fans of Ford's
  version of Klindom extrapolated a playable set of rules, and it's
  now a popular real-world game. "The Authorized Klin Zha Homepage"
  (http://www.tasigh.org/takzh/ ) has details.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons