tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 27 11:08:55 2010

RE: New words

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

loghaD (a.k.a. tesseraktik):
> [There I've also listed 'uj'a' and jIn as unsourced.  I've since
> confirmed 'uj'a' (in an old e-mail from Voragh), but according to
> maHvatlh jIn is a misconception; apparently it started out being
> used as a hypothetical word, but then came into use.]

Pre-KGT hypothetical verb *{jIn} "brew" (??):

~mark:

  I remember [Okrand] and I actually were discussing *raktajino*
  while he was working on the book [i.e. KGT], as soon as we both
  found out that it was Klingon coffee ... He really hated the
  /-ino/ ending, since it sounded too obviously like cappuccino,
  and said he'd have to check with Maltz about *raktaj* ... and
  I had the theory that the Klingon wasn't "raktaj" or whatever,
  but actually *raktajin* and the /-o/ was added by marketers for
  similarity with Terran brews. Why *raktajin*? Because it was
  brewed from {raHta'}, making it *{raHta'jIn}."

KGT 83:

  In fact, {vut} can also be used in reference to making a beverage,
  whether simply mixing ingredients together (such a putting cream
  in coffee) or starting from scratch (such as brewing ale).

... or even {ra'taj} "coffee with liquor" (what humans call raktajino [KGT]).  WRT distilling alcoholic beverages, cf. also {pub} "boil" and {rogh} "ferment".

{raHta'} *racht* is a type of food, apparently another type of edible worm:

  'ugh ro'qegh'Iwchab, nIb raHta'
  the racht is as heavy as the rokeg blood pie. (HQ 13.1:8)

"There's nothing worse than half-dead *racht*." (DS9 "Melora")

A Klingon food item shunned when half dead. (KCD)

A larger variety of serpent worm. (Federation Travel Guide)

"Food made from live serpent worms (not to be confused with gagh) (Keith R.A. DeCandido's 2001 novel _Diplomatic Implausibility_).  {gha'poq} *grapok* sauce is a "condiment, often used to bring out the flavor in gagh or racht. (DI).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level