tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 08 09:39:30 2010

RE: News from Maltz

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>>> Maltz first said that Klingons don't have pillows and he wondered why
>>> anyone would want one.  But he's seen them (somewhere) and knows what
>>
>> When Captain K'Vada showed Picard to his quarters aboard his Bird-of-
>> Prey, he slapped the hard bed - more like a sleeping shelf - and
>> sneered, "You will sleep Klingon-style. We do not cushion our bodies by
>> putting down a pad." Nonplussed, Picard slapped the "bed" himself and
>> replied, "Good. I like it that way."  (TNG "Unification I")

Quvar:
>Unbelievable - you do have canon examples for everything, isn't it?
>Great!

Thanks.  I think the cultural context is important, so here are a couple more...

>>> The word {buq} could be "bag, sack, pouch" or even "pocket."

KGT 75f.:  A third category of Klingon instrument is the {SuSDeq}, the windbag or bellows type. A {SuSDeq} has a flexible bag, usually made of animal skin, which is alternately filled with and emptied of air. [...] For one form of {SusDeq}, the {may'ron}, the player stretches the bag out to fill it with air and squeezes it together to empty it while directing the flow of air by pressing buttons mounted on boards on either end of the bag, much like an accordion. [...] To alternately squeeze and stretch out the bag part of the {may'ron} is to {rey}. Another type of {SuSDeq}, the {DIron}, resembles and is played much like bagpipes. The verb that means squeeze the bag part of the {DIron}, usually with the elbow, is {qeb}.

During the Kot'baval Festival being celebrated at the Maranga IV outpost, Worf gave a street vendor a couple of coins (darseks?) for what appeared to be a bag of dried *gagh*.  (TNG "Firstborn")

>>> A {ngogh} is a block or lump or brick. He said he's seen humans
>>> eating {yuch ngoghmey} and found that strange.

KGT 93:  A particularly popular dish, {tlhombuS}, requires that the cook
coat a block of {tlhagh} [animal fat] with a mixture of {ngat} (herbed
granulated cartilage) and {tIr} (grain) and then briefly immerse the block
into the already boiling fat, just until the coating hardens.

Cf. also {tlher} "be lumpy".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons