tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 07 11:47:03 2010

RE: News from Maltz

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar valer:
>We even had a chance to talk to Maltz. He was not present this year, but
>he agreed to visit us next year, when we celebrate our tenth
>anniversary.  Someone had asked about the word for "pillow" and suggested
>{QongDaqvaD meyrI' tun ghoDlu'bogh}.
>
>---quote---
>Maltz first said that Klingons don't have pillows and he wondered why
>anyone would want one.  But he's seen them (somewhere) and knows what

When Captain K'Vada showed Picard to his quarters aboard his Bird-of-Prey, he slapped the hard bed - more like a sleeping shelf - and sneered, "You will sleep Klingon-style. We do not cushion our bodies by putting down a pad." Nonplussed, Picard slapped the "bed" himself and replied, "Good. I like it that way."  (TNG "Unification I")

  letqu' QongDaq
  The bed is very hard. (CK)

"Since Klingons are accommodating of foreigners, guest rooms in hotels do come equipped with a bed but that it's most often made of the same material as the floor." (CK)

>they are.  So when pushed -- "If you have to call it something, what
>would you call it?" -- he said {ngogh tun}.  A {ngogh} is a "block" or
>"lump" or "brick."  [....]
>
>He thought more about it and said maybe another way to say "pillow" was
>{QongDaq buq} "bed pouch," but he said that could also apply to a
>sleeping bag.  Perhaps a sleeping bag is {QongDaq buq'a'} and a pillow
>is {QongDaq buqHom}.  [....]
>---/quote---

{ngogh tun} "soft block" also works for cushion, mattress, pad, mat, etc., like those used when Worf taught Mok'bara aboard the Enterprise-D (TNG "Birthright II", TNG "A Man of the People", etc.).  (I doubt however that practice pads or mats are normally used when Klingons train!)  When clarity is needed one can say *{ngogh'a' tun} for mattress - or just {QongDaq tun} for that matter - and {ngogh tun 'ej beQ} or just {ngogh beQ} for flat pads and mats.

>We had the opportunity to hear some other words, which I will describe
>in another mail. I hope you just enjoy these few first, and start a
>Klingon pillow fight. ;-)

Can't wait.  Keep 'em coming!

>PS: did you see the pun already?

Not yet.