tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 06 08:31:34 2010

RE: latlh mu' chu'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> It sounds as if Okrand thought {nagh beQ} would do for any sort
>> of picture/image and didn't understand why people were
>> uncomfortable with it.

Felix:
>Indeed, while I've always felt that it's strange to refer to a
>computerized image as a {nagh beQ}, I suppose it's really not much
>stranger than referring to a digital movie as a "film", or to a plastic
>table covering as a "tablecloth".

Or digital recordings as being "on tape".  This may well have been Okrand's thinking for the primitive sounding "flat stone".

>                                       Also, while I'm not a computer
>expert, I'm pretty certain that not all storage disks are disk-shaped.

IIRC in Trek files were stored on 2 x 2 inch "data solids" (TOS) or those 1 x 3 inch plastic "isolinear chips" (TNG; the Cardasians used "isolinear rods" about the size of a cigarette [DS9]).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level