tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 06 07:19:57 2010

RE: latlh mu' chu'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar (on Facebook) via QeS:
>"Finally, someone last year asked for the word for "picture." At first,
>Maltz wondered why {nagh beQ} wasn't good enough. But then he thought

It sounds as if Okrand thought {nagh beQ} would do for any sort of picture/image and didn't understand why people were uncomfortable with it.  I admit I always considered {nagh beQ} to refer mostly to works of Art - with a capital "A" - as a flat counterpart to a {Hew} "statue".  Note his comment in KGT:

KGT 79:  Statues are carved of stone ({nagh} "rock, stone") by various techniques.

>about it some more and said that another word, {mIllogh}, could be used
>for any sort of depiction, including drawings, photographs, cartoons,
>icons on 21st-century computers, and so on." (Posting to Facebook group
>{tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu'}, 1 Dec 2010)
>
>You can add to your notes that it was an email from Marc Okrand of
>November 15 2010. He had sent this one to reveal the new words at the
>qepHom'a' in Saarbrücken, because the students had asked for them last
>year. Unfortunately he did not answer all of the questions, but Maltz
>was quite willing this time. ;-)

To review {nagh beQ} - "stone panel (artwork, similar to a painting)":

KGT 80: Carving or incising is also done on flat surfaces, usually a stone panel or {nagh beQ} (literally, "flat rock"), a term that has been extended to mean the resulting artwork itself as well as similar pieces, including paintings. Such carvings are sometimes just ornamental, sometimes informational (if the Klingon writing system, {pIqaD}, is incorporated into the design), sometimes representational. What the Federation would classify as a painting - that is, a {nagh beQ} featuring an image not carved into it but painted onto it - is made by applying {rItlh} ["pigment"] ...

KGT 82: When it is necessary to talk about colors more precisely, as it might be for the creator of a {nagh beQ}, various devices are employed.

Used for "(stone) tablet, stele" in GILGAMESH.

There's a photo of the clone of Kahless standing in front of his own painted portrait in KGT p.7.

PUN: "flat rock" (i.e. cave painting!)

Now we can retire various {mu'mey ru'} and work-arounds we've been using, including.

  *{rurwI'}   picture [KBTP]
     - rurwI'mey buSlu' "about the artwork" [Glen Proechel]

  *{cha'wI'}  image, picture, (image) viewer? [Quvar]

Finally, some related nouns:

  {HaSta}  "visual display (on monitor)"
  {wIy}    "tactical display (on monitor)

and some useful verbs:

  {cha'}   "show, display (picture)"
  {DIj}    "use a pigment stick, paint with pigment stick"
  {ghItlh} "engrave, incise, mark"

QeS commented:
>> mu'vam qIDHey ghov 'Iv? {{:)

It couldn't be because Okrand has been asked for this word about a MILlion TIMES, could it?  <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level