tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 03 12:13:18 2010

RE: wovmoHwI'mey yupma'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

QeS:
>>>Also, since {'eH} is an exclamation the use of {-choH} on it is jarring.
>>>What about saying {rInchoH} "it becomes accomplished" instead?

Voragh:
>>I don't have my TKD with me, but I thought {'eH} is a quality that can
>>also be used as an exclamation (similar to the adverbial {tugh} "soon",
>>also used as an exclamation: "Hurry up! Be quick about it!").  Would
>>someone check the TKD glossary to see if {'eH} is labeled "v."?  My
>>notes indicate:
>>
>> {'eH} - be ready; Ready! (excl)
>>  "{SuH}, {Su'} and {'eH} all mean that the speaker is about to give a
>>command. They are comparable to the "Ready!" at the beginning of a race:
>>"Ready! Set! Go!" {SuH} and {Su'}, but not {'eH}, can also be used to
>>indicate that the speaker is ready to do something or that arrangements
>>have been made for something to happen. Some speakers of Klingon
>>pronounce {SuH} as if it were {SSS}, almost like the English expression
>>for "be quiet": shhh!" (TKD 57)]
>>  - 'eH! Ready! (response to a command, i.e. "Standing by.") STMP
>>  (cf. {ghuH} prepare for, {ghuS} prepare to launch, {qeq} practice,
>>train, prepare, {-rup} ready, prepared [beings] & {-beH} ready, set up
>> [devices])
>>
>> Since there are no declined examples, I don't know if we can say:
>>
>>   ?DIngwI' vIQuj vIneHqu'.  DaH jI'eH!
>>    I really want to play dreydl.  I'm ready now!
>>
>> or if we must use {-rup}:
>>
>>   DaH DIngwI' vIQujrup!
>>   I'm ready to play dreydl now!

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
>In TKD and Ultralingua's computer-based dictionary, {'eH} is listed as
>an "excl" only. It is not listed as a verb.

Thanks.  {-rup} it is.  I wonder where "be ready" came from?

>> BTW, anyone remember who coined {DIngwI'} as a translation for dreydl
>> in our past Hanukkah discussions?  In this case I think it works better
>> as a name for a toy than transcribing it *{tlheyDIl}, *{DeyDIl},
>> *{DIretlh}, etc.

naHQun:
> You did; December 2, 2009.

Ahem... I guess that's why I have no source note.  No wonder I liked it!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level