tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 26 21:30:41 2008

Re: idea for writing system

Lawrence John Rogers ([email protected])

So has anyone ever tried to find all the places where Okuda's glyphs show up
in the movies/shows/etc. and copy them down?

This is similar to what I had to do with Atlantean.  No one had ever really
put a few years into copying down the entire corpus from all the books or
movies.  If only all the necessary Star Trek materials averaged .25 dollars
a shot on e-bay.  We'll see...  Thank God for screen capture.  And
photoshop.  And whatever else I'll need or want.

Once and if I get far enough along on this, does anyone have anybody in mind
who could help me program software that could wield this behemoth like a
font?  I've glimpsed software for Egyptian and Chinese and it's off the
scale.

I sort-of like the idea of a glyph per suffix.  But it's just so artificial.
I can't think of a single complex writing system that assigns a single sign
to a grammatical suffix UNLESS that sign represents the same CV or VC
syllable which that character is.  So I might avoid that idea.  But it
sounds super cool.

The thing with complex writing systems is that there's usually about 3 ways
to write the same word.  In Classical Mayan, there's something like 5-10
glyphs that all have the same syllabic value for all the syllables of the
syllabary (it's an aesthetic thing mostly, partially historic/regional).

>> That pdf article seems to indicate that Okuda's glyphs include something
>> above 50, maybe into the 100's.
>
> Eh? Show 'em to me. He's never made that many.

Back to archive top level