tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 26 02:22:04 2008

Re: idea for writing system

nahqun ([email protected])

Ah, back in the day I tried this too.
I stopped for basically two reasons.
1) I lost the data *multiple* times after several computers crashed.
2) I didn't have enough glyphs.
I searched the web high and low and downloaded EVERY Klingon font I
could find, and there just weren't enough symbols for what I had in
mind.

To help you on your way, this is what I was trying to do.
I figured I would use the "alphabet" characters as we currently accept
them, and then assign other characters to the various affixes.
I started by using the TOS (Mandel?) font for the affixes. I generally
tried to give similiar looking glyphs similar meanings.

There are probably more symbols seen on screen than we have in various
fonts, so if you are so able, you could create your own font. I don't
have such capabilities.

As a way to explain away why my writing system didn't match what was
on the screen, I decided that Klingon ships used a special
military-speak that was different from standard Klingon. Sort of a
security measure.

Of course the entire project, even if completed, won't make much of an
impact as no one will use it. We don't really use the official
unoficial system we have. That's why pIqaD wasn't accepted into
Unicode-the people that would use it, don't.
The only time the KLI uses it, is on the title pages of their books,
and the cover of HolQeD (and a few minor lines of text). But there are
no *major* uses of pIqaD.

So if you do decide to continue, have fun, but don't expect books to
be printed...

~naHQun

p.s. the pdf document mentioned in one of the previous messages says
that some of the glyphs are simple rotations of others. This is okay,
and might even be a way to "stretch" the glyphs you have. Look at the
letters p q b d, for example. It's the same shape, but orientated four
different ways. I wouldn't over do it, but it's an idea.
Maybe {-wIj} would be "p" and {-wI'} would be "q" (where p and q
represent specail Klingon suffix glyphs).

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/purpleelaphants/
http://www.twitter.com/roneyii
http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelRoneyJr

Modern playwrights have become obsessed with writing human
interpretations of alien theatrical works while ignoring completely
our own unique cultural heritage.~Bashir; "The Die is Cast" (DS9)

Back to archive top level