tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 26 11:03:24 2008

Re: idea for writing system

Lawrence John Rogers ([email protected])

This too, is all good to know.  Thanks for the help.

That pdf article seems to indicate that Okuda's glyphs include something
above 50, maybe into the 100's.  The number I find will work.  I'd really
like to stick with Okuda's glyphs thus far, to keep a consistent aesthetic.
I'd probably create a Yahoo Group for this and use it as a back-up public
archive, just like I do with Atlantean.

I would also search the web, but not for fonts, but well-documented images
of Okuda's glyphs, like what can be found for Angorthas Moria from David
Salo's New Khuzdul for "The Lord of the Rings".

As mentioned in previous post, I have serious problems with the Font
as-used.  Its forms based on Phonician, an English script.  the
Tibetan/Mongolian thing doesn't get me so much.

Do you really think you can predict if this will be published or not?
Knowledge of the future is a gift but I predict that you won't publish on
it.  So you "know" that no one will use it?  I think you're jumping to
conclusions.

And if it's done well and completed, in itself it should be a work of art.
People may or may not want to see that in the current day.  That's something
that not only artists but other creative people have to accept with an open
heart.  Have you ever heard of Buddhist sand paintings?  I'm no Buddhist,
but I do share a loathing of living life for the applause (or money) of
other men.

If completed, it would be a logo-phonetic script.  Most people who speak
Klingon come from Western countries where such scripts are ignorantly and
close-mindedly dismissed as "archane", "useless", and "redundant".  One of
my life goals is to try to open up Western stubborness regarding systems
like Chinese and Egyptian.  There's more than one way of doing things out
there and they also work.  Our way is not the only way and it doesn't work
as-is in all places.  I would hope that learning Klingon would help you see
this general truth as it relates to human cultural behavior.

That said, thanks for your help.  I might have to use the rotating
characters thing, but I doubt it.

Back to archive top level