tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 30 16:19:16 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: ngIp (verb)

On Apr 30, 2008, at 12:01 PM, Doq wrote:
> You can suggest that {latlh Hol} be "loosely translated" as "another
> language", but it is useful for beginners (or experienced speakers who
> have forgotten this) to know that it NEVER literally means "another
> language" because {latlh} is NEVER an adjective.

I can't fully agree with this.  {latlh} is certainly never an
adjective, but genitive phrases can treat the first noun as a
descriptive modifier without a literal possession idea.  Sangqar
provided the examples that show how {latlh Doch} can have the unusual
but still correct meaning of "another thing".  It's similar to the
way that {Hoch} can acquire a special meaning when it precedes
another noun.

Back to archive top level