tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 22 18:48:06 2008

Re: cha' Hol ngeb mu'ghommey Daj vItu'pu'!

Doq ([email protected])

One thing to keep in mind during the "Is it okay to build our own
compound nouns?" argument that is often repeated and never resolved:

Romanized tlhIngan Hol is not the written language of Klingons. It is
a phonetic notation of what a Klingon says out loud. When you say {paq
po'} it sounds a lot like {paqpo'}. In fact, depending on your timing
and emphasis, it sounds EXACTLY the same.

So, one sound can be notated phonetically two different ways. Imagine
that. The blank space, inserted or deleted doesn't really change the
way you say it, and we are only writing down what you are saying,
phonetically.

So, please don't get too attached to seeing something like this
written as one word or two. I prefer two, myself, unless I know that a
one-word version exists in canon, given the warning in TKD against
coining your own compound nouns, but that's just my personal
preference. If I say {paq po'}, don't try to convince me that I'm
wrong, okay. It won't work. You're wasting your time.

It seems like people are trying to cement a specific meaning to
{paqpo'} by making it one word instead of describing the person with a
somewhat more vague {paq po'}, but the simple truth is, Klingon
doesn't have a word for "librarian" or "library" or "umbrella". You
can describe these things in Klingon, but you can't name them, any
more than you can name a dragonfly or a snapping turtle, or a birch
tree. Or a jeep. Or a flying buttress.

Or a shingle, or a pipe wrench or a mortise and tenon joint, or a
fuzzy dice or sushi or an iPod or a rubber band (though we do have
"paper clip") or headphones or stereo amplifier or a posi-traction
differential or an ottoman or a doorknob (or a handle of any kind, for
that matter), or a bicycle or a trapeze or a tea cozy or a hat. Not a
helmet. A HAT.

Get used to it. Deal.

pItlh.

Doq