tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 21 11:05:12 2008

Re: cha' Hol ngeb mu'ghommey Daj vItu'pu'!

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

SuStel wrote:
> > *{paqpo'}  "librarian"?
>
>Ouch! No. Conceivably {paq pIn}, but more likely {paq vu'wI'}, or
>something along those lines.

I've seen *{paqpo'} used on this list off and on for years.  I didn't coin
it; I found it in my notes when I searched "librarian".

> > *{paqtej}  "bibliographer"?
> > *{paqSuy}  "bookseller"?
>
>I see no basis on which you can turn these into compound nouns. {paq
>tej, paq Suy}. The first one is a little vague as well; "book scientist"
>might mean several things.

Not to those of us in the book trade.  A librarian is not the same thing as
a bibliographer, who does more than compile bibliographies or reading lists!

If a *{Holtej} is a someone who studies or practices the academic subject -
or "science" if you prefer to dress it up! - of {HolQeD} "linguistics",
then a *{paqtej} would be someone who studies or practices the subject
*{paqQeD} "bibliography" as taught in library schools the world
over.  (Whether *{paqQeD} could stretch to mean the same thing as "library
science" (so-called) is another discussion.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level