tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 22 16:16:59 2008

Re: cha' Hol ngeb mu'ghommey Daj vItu'pu'!

Steven Boozer wrote:

> Voragh:
>
> SuStel:
>
> I see no basis on which we can't.  The fact that we have no known examples
> in the corpus of these two specific nouns appearing in compounds is not
> evidence that they can't be so used.

One cannot go coining compound nouns. TKD explains how compound nouns
are formed, but it doesn't give us license to make our own.

> SuStel:
>> If your basic premise were correct, I would accept *{paqQeD}
>> unhesitatingly. We do have more evidence regarding {QeD} in compound
>> nouns, so I'd have a lot less trouble accepting *{paqQeD} as a
>> well-formed word, regardless of the validity of *{paqtej}.
>
> Okrand writes WRT Klingon science:
>
>    Three groups of words in particular are, for the most part,
>    unrepresented: scientific terminology [...] Terms associated
>    with the various sciences are the subject of a special study,
>    and a report is currently being prepared.  [TKD 9]
>
> Until that report is ready, we can only look at the known examples {HolQeD}
> "linguistics", {nughQeD} "sociology" and {HuchQeD} "economics" - though
> Okrand hints that the latter is not exactly kosher:

We can look at them, but their existence is not proof of a license to
compound {QeD} with anything. At best we can say that there is a pattern
to follow. But the followation of that pattern may be errage, even if it
seems perfectly senseful.

--
SuStel
Stardate 8309.2