tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 14 13:05:09 2008

Re: Klingon WOTD: ngIl (verb)

In a message dated 4/14/2008 14:04:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Since S21 is our only example of {ngIl}, I don't know.  I'm also stumbling
> over the "I dare/challenge you to X".  Have we ever seen the "prefix trick"
> used with {'e'}?  I can't think of an example off the top of my head.

Here are the only examples of the prefix trick (can we change this term to
something more descriptive and less cutesy, like double object?) that I could
find.

[md] "Do not try to mislead me if you value your life", but literally
translated it means: [hf] "If you shine my nose, I will give you *your* nose." = [mo]
{ghIchwIj DabochmoHchugh, ghIchlIj qanob.} (PK)

[hf] "Give me a permit to sell dilithium, your honor." = [mo] {cha'puj
vIngevmeH chaw' HInobneS.} (PK)

[km] "Give me five thousand credits! Pay now!" = [mo] {vaghSaD DeQ HInob. DaH
yIDIl.} (PK)

I must show you my heart. = tIqwIj Sa'angnIS. (TKW p. 203)

On the other hand, why would you use a double object in the example above?
Just say {X 'e' vIngIl}.

I found only these three examples of an English object followed by a clause,
two of them with infinitives; none use a double object in Klingon, instead
using only a {'e'} clause.

{juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob}
I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship
(lit.: I request that you lead us and that you assume the duties of commander
of this ship) (KGT p184)

[hf] "Permit me to explain my mistake, your honor."
[mo] {QaghwIj vIQIj 'e' yIchaw'neS.} (PK)

A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone.
nIteb Qob qaD jup 'e' chaw'be' SuvwI'. (TKW p. 37)

I looked for a synonym for {ngIl}, and found only {qaD} -

qaD                                        challenge (n)
qaD                                        challenge (v)
{qaD}   <test> of one's abilities (n)

Only the last one is close to the meaning of "dare".  But I see no canon
examples of it.
{qaD} also occurs in the related words {mu'qaD} and {nalqaD} and the
apparently unrelated words {pIqaD} and {qo'qaD}.

lay'tel SIvten   </HTML>

Back to archive top level