tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 27 08:46:43 2006

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for 2006/10/23

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > If you don't like using {lo'taHvIS} - and some people think it's
> > too easy - break it up:
> >
> >    qaDuQ 'ej DuQwI'Hom ngo' vIlo'.
> >    qaDuQ; DuQwI'Hom ngo' vIlo'.

ghunchu'wI':
>Using {-meH} would be very reasonable, I think.
>
>    qaDuQmeH DuQwI'Hom lam vIlo'.

Much simpler.  I should have thought of a purpose clause.

>We do have appropriate vocabulary for the "weapon" here -- {Hergh
>QaywI'} or {HerghwI'} -- but I'm not sure what verb to apply to it.
>
>    qangejmeH HerghwI' chuv vIlo'.

You're right; {DuQ} "stab" doesn't work as hypos won't have needles in the
23rd century.

As an aside:  When I was diagnosed with diabetes last year they gave me an
injector pen to carry.  This is a 6.5-inch long device that uses insulin
cartridges and mini-needles (1/4 inch).  To use it you turn a small dial at
the base to select the dosage, then push the button to inject.  (So {DuQ}
would still be the appropriate verb.)  My first thought on examining it
was: {toH, Hergh QaywI' vIghaj!}.  The nurse had no idea why I was
laughing.  And every time I use it I can't help recalling SeQpIr:

   cheDuQchugh mareghbe''a'?
   Prick us, do we not bleed? TKW

--
Voragh